Centenary Park Nursery School
Contract Value: £356,000.00
Client: Harrow Council
Following the successful completion of two previous public buildings for Harrow Council we were approached by Harrow to provide a feasibility study on locating a new nursery, obtaining planning permission and delivering the works.
In addition to the feasibility and planning permission the works themselves consisted of the demolition of existing parks sheds and garage and the provision of a new 160m2 nursery building complete with main classroom, office, junior toilets, disabled WC, kitchen and plant room.
Delivery of the Works
Prior to construction our design team worked with the client to develop the planning designs. This process included consultation with the local school authority, the nursery tenant (Bright Kidz), travel consultants and planners. Once planning permission was obtained we worked with the client and Bright Kidz nursery to develop the full construction drawings including all material and finishes choices.
Following this and the discharge of pre start planning conditions we took possession of the site.
We used our own direct labour to demolish the existing buildings, clear the site, set out and undertake all ground works, drainage and foundations ready to receive the modular superstructure.
The superstructure was then delivered in 6 modules and placed onto the foundations over a two day lift. On completion of the lift scaffold was erected and the external and internal finishing was carried out taking a total of 4 weeks.
The externals were prioritised to facilitate an early scaffold strike which allowed the external hard landscaping to complete at the same time as the internals. The hard landscaping, kerbing and tarmac works were carried out by our own direct labour force.
1) Time – The client approached us in late April 2015 with a brief of finding a suitable site and building for Bright Kidz nursery as they were losing their existing building in December. At this stage there was no planning permission in place nor was the site identified.
From our experience we knew that using a modular building would provide the quickest construction solution and our feasibility and planning designs were tailored to suit this. We identified a suitable site with the client from their existing assets and moved quickly to submit a full planning application for the works. Our application was submitted in June 2015. Planning was granted for the project in late August 2015. Once planning was granted we were able to take possession of the site in September and have it ready to receive the building by mid October. Once the building landed we were able to complete all works to a “Turnkey” level by the beginning of December.
We estimate had this building been constructed by traditional methods the works would have taken a minimum 6 weeks longer and possibly more due the time of year and cold temperatures.
2) Public Protection: The site was located directly adjacent to the main pedestrian route through Centenary Park and became extremely busy each morning and evening at school run times.
It was directly behind a local high school who used the park for sports activities.
The site was also next door to the local Police station and therefore routes had to be kept clear for emergency response vehicles at all times .The most significant challenge of the project was the movement of the modular building and crane through the park.
We controlled the public protection risk by :
- Employing strict delivery times outside of school runs.
- Agreeing a 1 way vehicle system through the park and erecting effective temporary traffic management signage.
- Using qualified banks men to supervise any traffic movement through the park
- Erecting suitable hoarding to prevent child access to the site
- Working closely with the local police station to ensure good communication of when we were receiving deliveries
- Ensuring the park roads were kept clean at all times
This has been a very successful job for us and our client. The “one stop” feasibility, design and build service we offer has been used fully by the client meaning we could deliver this project from inception to completion in just under 7 months. We have now been successful in becoming a framework contractor for this client and are currently working on other similar Harrow projects.
“ We really like the way BMR Construction approach all their projects for us and have a real ‘can do’ attitude. From inception they have, without fuss, taken the lead on the project and delivered a fantastic building solution. The works were delivered quickly and provided very good value for money. We hope to continue working with BMR in the near future.”
- Dave Corby Community Engagement Manager